Time, and optional homework
In truth, you don't need anything at all to drop by one of our stores and start browsing our huge selection to see what might be of interest to you. Not only can we answer any of your questions, but our Flooring Advisors can ask useful questions you may not have even considered, which will make all the difference in meeting your expectations.
If you are the type that likes to do your homework, here are some things to consider before you buy:
1) Share the answers to these questions with us
- Do you have pets?
- Do you have young children?
- What type of colour preferences do you have?
- What is your budget?
- How long do you expect the flooring to last?
- Is the room above or below ground level?
- Are you going to install over existing flooring?
- Do you have underfloor (radiant) heating?
- How much traffic will this room see each day?
- Are you planning to install the flooring yourself?
- Is the level of sound a consideration? (For instance, carpeting softens any sound, while hardwood enhances sound.)
- What is your current colour scheme for the room?
- What is the size of the room? (Lighter colours make a room seem larger.)
- How much sunlight does the room receive?
- Are cleaning and maintenance schedules a factor in your decision?
- What type of room are you flooring? (Kitchen, bedroom, living room, den area, etc.?)
- Does this room have direct outside access?
2) Calculate your flooring budget
Use the cost calculator on the Before You Buy Overview
page to determine your approximate measurements and cost of materials. Remember that this estimate does not include supplementary materials such as underlay or transition pieces, nor does it include installation labour, which varies in cost depending on the flooring type you select. For instance, in general, carpet is less expensive to install than hardwood. Our Flooring Advisors in store will be able to give you a more specific idea about the budget required for ancillary expenses.
3) Online research
Finally, browse our list of online products. While each of our stores may not have the exact products listed on this website, we do have many similar items and can always do a special order for you if your preference is not in stock.
An open mind is a huge asset for the flooring consumer. Our Flooring Advisors can help assess your requirements and present you with excellent suggestions that you may not have considered. New products, trends and technologies are evolving every year, which means the choices you had a few years ago have likely improved.
, which is one great example of a relatively new option on the market that has numerous fantastic benefits.
Follow us on twitter
Like us on facebook: facebook.com/endoftheroll